Sunday, May 4, 2008

Greek Scrambled Eggs with Tomatoes and Feta

Last month, in the middle of a particularly unpleasant day, I stopped off at home briefly and noticed to my surprise that a package from Amazon had arrived. Book addict that I am, I didn't recall ordering anything recently. My sweetie was expecting a book, but not from Amazon. Puzzled, I tore open the package and found a copy of Mediterranean Harvest, a collection of more than 500 recipes by Martha Rose Shulman, was before me. Upon further inspection, the packing slip revealed it was a surprise gift from my dear friend Holler. As much as I enjoy eating the food that I feature here at Lisa's Kitchen, the encouraging praise and most importantly the special people I have met in the last year who would have otherwise remained strangers to me are my greatest reward.

I've had little time to explore the offerings contained within the sturdy covers, but if these Greek scrambled eggs with tomatoes and feta are any indication of the quality found here, this will soon be a favoured source of menu ideas. I used thyme here for a wonderfully fragrant combination with the feta cheese and tomatoes because I happened to have it on hand, but use other fresh herbs like oregano, basil, dill or mint to your liking. Serve these with warm bread and butter for a heavenly breakfast or light lunch, and don't feel you need to eat them all up like ordinary scrambled eggs — these actually firm up beautifully into sturdy egg cakes for quick reheating the next day.

Greek scrambled eggs with tomatoes and feta

2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons fresh thyme
4 large eggs
3-4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
fresh ground black pepper


Salt the tomatoes in a strainer and let drain over a bowl for at least 15 minutes. Heat a medium frying pan over medium heat. When hot, pour in the olive oil, wait a few seconds, then swirl around to coat the pan. Toss in the garlic, stir a few times, then add the tomatoes. Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes or until the tomatoes thicken a little. Turn up the heat and let some of the liquid boil out of the pan, about 5 more minutes. Stir in the fresh herbs.

Beat the eggs in a bowl and stir in the feta cheese. Pour into the pan with the tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low. Stir together until the eggs are set. Remove from heat and let rest for a few minutes.

Serve hot or warm with fresh ground black pepper on top. Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment