Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cheese Wafers

The lovely Zlamushka has cooked up an idea for a new food event to encourage us to focus on some of those recipes we mean to try. Tried and tested features a different food blog each month, the challenge being to cook something from the archives of the chosen source. This month, we are invited to explore Cynthia's choice creations.

Even after narrowing my focus to Cynthia's vegetarian friendly recipes, I had a hard time deciding what to make. These Cheese Wafers I could not resist. A big thanks to Cynthia for promptly providing the recipe, along with helpful hints. It is absolutely essential that the cheese and butter are at room temperature. I made these on an unexpected afternoon off and in my haste, did not follow the instructions to a tee, which I should have in this instance. The result was a magnificent treat, but the mixture was a bit more crumbly than it should have been because my ingredients were somewhat cool. I've adapted the recipe ever so slightly to accommodate my kitchen.
Cheddar Cheese Wafers

1 cup of finely grated extra old cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of unsalted butter, softened
1 cup of unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 - 1 teaspoon of cayenne


In a medium bowl, mash together all of the ingredients with a fork until well blended.

Cynthia suggests you transfer the mixture to a pastry bag and pipe directly unto an ungreased baking sheet, roughly 3 - 4 inches in length. You can then lightly press the dough with a fork or leave as is.

Alternately, you can shape the dough into small balls or logs and flatten them.

Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for roughly 12 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Makes 12 - 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment