Friday, June 4, 2010

Fresh Kamut Flour and Tibetan Campa

One of my favorite food events is Tried and Tasted, started by lovely Zlamushka. Due to time constraints, she has passed the reigns onto Lakshmi of Kitchen Chronicles.

Every month a blog is featured and cooks are encouraged to cook something from the archives and post about it. The founder of the event is the featured blog for this month. There are so many of Zu's recipes that I wished to try, but I finally settled on this Tibetan recipe, as Tibetan cuisine is something I have never experimented with, and I was completely smitten by the idea of using freshly ground flour. Instead of whole wheat berries, I used kamut berries and soaked them overnight, but otherwise I essentially followed the recipe that you can find here. Certainly a unique treat that can be served with a variety of vegetable dishes. I included these delightful little balls with an Indian chili. I am thinking these would be lovely baked in the oven for a short while and they were even better after a chill in the fridge. The flour can be sprinkled on a variety of dishes for some extra crunch as Zlamushka suggests.
Fresh Kamut Flour and Tibetan Campa

To make the fresh flour:

1 cup of whole wheat berries or kamut berries, soaked overnight and then air dried

For the Tibetan campa:

black tea
sea salt
ghee or oil


Begin by making the flour. Dry roast the kamut in a heavy pan over medium heat for roughly 5 minutes, until it darkens a few shades, stirring occasionally. Be sure not to overcook.

Let cool for a bit and then grind to your desired consistency in a coffee grinder.

Combine the flour with a splash of black tea and oil and sea salt. You will want a firm dough, so gradually add the tea and oil. Roll into balls and serve with your favorite vegetable dish or bean dish. I served mine with a spicy chili.

On the top of the reading stack: Short stories by Dostoyevsky

Audio Accompaniment: The ceiling fan in my office

No comments:

Post a Comment