Monday, February 4, 2008

Raspberry Lemon Muffins

I'm a big fan of quick breads, both sweet and savory. If I had to choose, my preference would be the savory variety, but thankfully, I can have both. In Love with Food's call for cakes and muffins gave me a perfect excuse to make a sweet muffin (as if I need an excuse). I consulted my mouthwatering copy of Nigella Lawson's How to be a Domestic Goddess and decided to make her Lemon-Raspberry muffins. We're in the dead of winter here and raspberries are not in season, but I was able to get some fresh ones from a local market. If I can't have spring, I can at least imagine it.
Lemon-Raspberry Muffins

1/4 cup of butter
1 2/3 cups of unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
2/3 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
juice and finely grated zest from one lemon
roughly 2/3 cup of milk
1 large egg
150 grams (5 ounces) of raspberries


Melt the butter in a small saucepan and let cool for a minute or so. In a medium-large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.

Pour the lemon juice into a large measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup. Beat the egg and butter into the juice / milk mixture. Pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Fold in the raspberries.

Fill greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Makes 12 muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment