Monday, March 31, 2008

Mixed Greens with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

I've enjoyed blueberry pancakes on many occasions, but the idea of blueberries with vegetables for dinner is a new culinary possibility that I've only begun to explore. Not too long ago, I made Red Cabbage with Mushrooms and Blueberries after finding the recipe on Laurie's fine Mediterranean inspired food site. The sweet blueberries complimented the earthy flavour of the cabbage to perfection. Yes, this works for me.

Shortly after making that recipe, I came across Peter G's recipe for Spinach Salad with Blueberry Vinaigrette. I bookmarked it immediately and now I have tried it. This proved to be the ideal accompaniment to my Friday menu of Cheese and Herb Fritters with Tomato and Balsamic Jam and Honey Lemon Seed Poppy Cake for dessert.

Peter suggests you make this dressing with red wine vinegar and a neutral flavoured oil, but vinaigrettes are very versatile and like Peter, I opted for the olive oil and balsamic vinegar combo. I'm sharing this with Kalyn, who is hosting Weekend Herb Blogging this week.

Mixed Greens with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/2 pound or so of mixed greens such as spinach, radicchio, chard, arugula, beet greens

4 ounces of fresh blueberries
1/2 cup of olive oil
2 - 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar


Blend the blueberries and whisk together with vinegar and oil. Drizzle over mixed greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment