Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers with Goat's Cheese and Sun-dried Tomatoes

The jalapeno pepper plants I have growing in my backyard have been offering up an abundant harvest this summer, and though regular readers know I use a lot of peppers in my cooking, I have so many that I decided to make stuffed jalapeno peppers. On the rare occasion I dine out at a restaurant offering stuffed poppers, I virtually never fail to order them. But not until now have I attempted to make my own version with some of my favorite flavors. Expect to spend some time in the kitchen if you make these, but they are totally worth the fuss. This batch was baked in the oven, but you can also broil the stuffed peppers or deep-fry them. I served them with the Simple Salsa I made yesterday. I would suggest pureeing the salsa because it works better as a dipping sauce for the poppers.

Stuffed Jalapeno Peppers with Goat's Cheese

10 - 12 jalapeno peppers
150 grams of goat's cheese (roughly 1/2 cup)
4 - 5 sun-dried tomatoes
a dash of sea salt
a dash of cayenne pepper
2 - 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup of cornmeal
1/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of paprika


Soak the sun-dried tomatoes in warm water for at least 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the peppers. Make a lengthwise slit in each pepper, leaving the stem on. Carefully remove the seeds with a knife or small spoon.

Drain the sun-dried tomatoes, squeezing out any excess moisture. Finely chop the tomatoes, and in a small bowl, combine with the goat's cheese, cayenne, salt and parsley.

Using a small spoon or a piping bag (or a homemade piping bag pictured here), fill each pepper with the filling. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg. Combine the cornmeal, flour and paprika in another small bowl. Roll each stuffed pepper in the egg, then roll the peppers in the cornmeal / flour mixture to coat. Again dip the pepper in the egg, and again roll in the cornmeal mixture.

Transfer the finished peppers to a greased baking dish or sheet and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment