Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Classic Macaroni and Cheese

I'm away from home for a bit, but I haven't stopped cooking. For the past few days, I've been making my culinary creations in my parent's fine kitchen. But every cook needs a break, and tonight I'm proud to present good old fashioned macaroni and cheese, made by my Dad. Or at least, it's nearly a classic version, as I requested my Dad substitute cornmeal for the bread crumbs. It was so good, I've decided to submit the recipe to Ruth who hosts Presto Pasta Night every Friday.
Mom's Classic Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups of uncooked macaroni
4 tablespoons of butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
3 tablespoons of unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 cups of milk
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

1 tablespoon of butter
1/2 cup of bread crumbs or cornmeal
1/4 cup shredded cheese


Cook the pasta, drain and set aside.

In a medium-sized saucepan, melt the butter and then stir in the onions, flour, salt and pepper. Add the milk and cook and stir until sauce boils and thickens. Next add the cheese and stir to melt. Combine with macaroni and then transfer to a 2 quart (2 litre) casserole dish.

In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Remove from the heat and stir in the bread crumbs or cornmeal until well combined. Add the cheese, stirring well. Sprinkle over the top of the pasta in the casserole dish. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and begins to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment