Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Jalapeno Cheddar Scones

Biscuits and scones are a big favorite in my household and I am always on the lookout for new ideas. Regular readers will know I like some spice in my life and so I immediately bookmarked this recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I have so many bookmarked recipes and cookbooks and never can seem to keep up, but I am certainly glad I baked up these little delights. I served these delicious scones with a cheesy Greek Mac and Cheese dish.

Jalapeno Cheddar Scones

2 cups of unbleached white flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of sea salt
8 tablespoons of butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup of heavy cream
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups of extra old cheddar cheese
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
dash of cayenne


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease the baking sheet with butter.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or a knife and fork until the butter is reduced to small crumbs.

Beat the eggs together with the cream and pour into the flour mixture. Stir until just combined. Fold in the cheddar and the jalapenos, along with a dash of cayenne pepper.

Shape into roughly 1 1/2 inch rounds and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for roughly 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Yields approximately 10 scones.

More savory biscuits and scones you will be sure to enjoy from Lisa's vegetarian kitchen:
Cheddar Parmesan Scones with Dill
Cheddar Dill Beer Biscuits
Raisin Cranberry Tea Biscuits
Whole Wheat Tea Biscuits

On the top of the reading stack: Pure and Simple: Homemade Indian Vegetarian Cuisine by Vidhu Mittal

Audio Accompaniment: Shutov Assembly by Brian Eno

No comments:

Post a Comment