Thursday, October 30, 2008

Savoury Cheese Crackers

Somehow or other, I've had more kitchen disasters in the last few weeks than I have had in the past two years. First, there was a cornmeal shortbread that tempted me, and though the dough was delicious, it didn't hold together and into the trash can it went. After that, there were the little discs of goat cheese that I tried to fry up to serve with sauted portabello mushrooms. It was all good until it was time to flip them over. I ended up with a glob of cheese, but I spread it over some toast, along with a mushroom, and so managed to salvage dinner. Finally, we come to this recipe for Savoury Cheese Crackers.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I was treated to a visit from my Dad this past weekend. On the afternoon he arrived, I decided I wanted to make a little snack. I was short on ingredients but had everything I needed for these crackers. Into the food processor went the dry ingredients, butter and cheese. At this point, I was supposed to have a dough to knead. Well, the mixture just resembled flour. Perhaps my ingredients were too cold? What to do? Not wanting to waste cheese and butter, and still determined to make something for my Dad to enjoy, I threw in a couple of eggs, pulsed them a few times and so I had a dough. I probably could have managed with just one egg, but no matter, as they ended up turning out well and the egg gave the crackers an extra richness and a slight crispiness. They are essentially a cross between a cracker and a savory cookie.
Savory Cheese Crackers

1 1/4 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of dry mustard
1 teaspoon of sea salt
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 cup of cold butter
2 cups of cold grated extra old cheddar cheese
1/2 cup of cold grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Combine the flour, mustard, salt and cayenne in a food processor.

Add the butter and cheeses and pulse. Now add the eggs and pulse until you get a dough. Turn out onto a whole wheat floured board and knead a few times. Divide the dough into four pieces. Roll out the dough until it is roughly 1/8 thick. Cut with a cookie cutter of your choice and transfer to the baking sheet. Repeat with each portion of dough, and reroll the scraps.

Bake in batches in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10 - 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack and serve at room temperature.

Makes roughly 3 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment