Monday, August 20, 2007

Scalloped Potatoes with Wild Mushroom Soup

This past weekend I had the opportunity to cook a meal for my dad who made a trip to London to visit. After considering what to make for a few days prior to his visit, I finally settled on Scalloped Potatoes because potatoes are one of my dad's favorite vegetables. This is a variation on the recipe my mom used to make; instead of using canned mushroom soup with a bit of milk and butter, I prepared a pot of my favorite homemade Wild Mushroom Soup the night before for the potatoes. The potatoes were delicious, though the soup base was not quite as thick and creamy as I would have liked. I would suggest reducing the amount of liquid when you prepare the mushroom soup for the potatoes, or sprinkle a bit of flour over each layer for a creamier version. Serve with a light dal soup, such as Urad Dal Tomato Soup, and a salad for a satisfying vegetarian meal.

Scalloped Potatoes with Wild Mushroom Soup

3 - 4 large unpeeled potatoes, sliced
1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
2 tablespoons of flour
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons of butter
approximately 3 - 4 cups of Wild Mushroom Soup


Cover the bottom of a medium-sized casserole dish with some of the sliced potatoes. Top with some of the sliced onion, a bit of salt and pepper, half of the butter, a tablespoon of flour and 2 cups of the soup. Repeat, reserving some of the sliced onions for the top. Finish by pouring a bit of soup over the top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 degree oven for about an hour, or until the potatoes are tender. Serves 4 - 6 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment