Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Spicy Parmesan Crackers

In a given week, I probably add at least 5 recipes to my must try soon list. Well, it's impossible to try all of the recipes I hope to make when I collect them at that rate, especially considering my rather extensive cookbook collection and my own imagination. But even though I found this recipe for Spicy Parmigiano Crackers at Kitchen Unplugged last May, I never did forget how much I wanted to taste these crispy little spicy delights. I was not disappointed in the least. The result was a light flaky cracker best enjoyed just on their own.

This seems like an especially appropriate entry to Bookmarked Recipes, a new food event started by Ruth's Kitchen Experiments. The idea is to encourage us to try some of those recipes we have bookmarked or stashed away in a folder.
Spicy Parmesan Crackers

2/3 cup of unbleached white flour
4 tablespoons of cold butter, cut into chunks
3 tablespoons of finely grated Parmesan Cheese
a pinch of sea salt
1 - 2 tablespoons of cold milk (I used buttermilk)
curry powder, cayenne, cumin and paprika


In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt, cheese, and a dash of curry powder and cayenne. Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or a fork. The butter should be reduced to small pieces. Add the milk gradually, until a dough is formed. Knead briefly, shape into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge from roughly 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured board, roll the dough out until it is roughly 1/8 inch thick. Cut into small squares and transfer to the baking sheet. Sprinkle with some cumin and paprika. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the crackers are nicely browned. Cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.

Yield: approximately 30 small crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment