Thursday, April 9, 2009

Scalloped Potatoes with Coconut Milk and Mushrooms

This past weekend I was treated to a visit from my Dad. I always make a point of making a special meal for him and knowing how much he enjoys potatoes, I immediately thought of this recipe for Scalloped Potatoes with Coconut Milk and Chilies that I found in my treasured and generously post-it-noted marked copy of 660 Curries by Raghavan Iyer. I've made several versions of scalloped potatoes in the past, but the idea of a spicy version was too much to resist. Indeed! This one received rave reviews from my dinner guests.

The only significant change I made was to add some sliced mushrooms to the dish. You will need to mix up some Red Chili and Vinegar Paste in preparation. Alternately, you could come up with your own fresh chili, spice paste, but I really think the Balchao Masala adds an essential kick. For a slightly thicker sauce, whisk a few teaspoons of unbleached white flour or chickpea flour into the coconut and masala paste.

I served this alongside Shredded Paneer with Tomatoes, Chilies, Mushrooms and Chickpeas.

This is also my submission to Eating with the Seasons, a monthly event hosted by the lovely Maninas.
Scalloped Potatoes with Coconut Milk

1 can (13.5 ounces or 400ml) of coconut milk
2 tablespoons of Red Chili and Vinegar Paste (Balchao Masala)
1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
1 pound of potatoes, sliced, and soaked in cold water for 30 minutes, and drained
6 - 8 button mushrooms, sliced
4 scallions (green and white parts), thinly sliced
10 fresh curry leaves (optional)


Butter or oil a casserole dish.

In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, red chili and vinegar paste and salt.

Cover the bottom of the casserole dish with a layer of potatoes. Sprinkle a third of the scallions and a third of the sliced mushrooms over the potatoes. Pour a third of the coconut milk sauce on top. Repeat two more times. Top with curry leaves if you are using them.

Cover and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for roughly 45 - 50 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender. Remove the lid and continue to cook until the potatoes are browned, roughly 15 minutes.

Serves 4.

Other potato recipes from Lisa's Kitchen:
Scalloped Potatoes with Wild Mushroom Soup
Spicy Potato Pancakes
Aloo Gobi
Mushroom and Jalapeno Breakfast Hash

No comments:

Post a Comment