Saturday, January 24, 2009

Cottage Cheese Scrambled Eggs

I often add cheese to scrambled eggs. Sometimes I grate some aged cheddar or add some goat cheese to the egg mixture. This time I added cottage cheese as I had a package in the fridge that I hadn't got around to using. Cheese never goes to waste in my kitchen! I first made these flavourful eggs as a midnight snack the other week. It might have been the wine, but I enjoyed them so much, I resolved to try them again for breakfast as I was too hungry to take a picture the first time around and wanted to share this simple but enjoyable egg creation with my readers.

The key to fluffy scrambled eggs is to beat the eggs really well and to keep the cooking temperature at moderate. Serve with toast for a satisfying and healthy breakfast. Cook up some hash browns to go along with the eggs and toast if you are hankering for a hearty Sunday breakfast.
Cottage Cheese Scrambled Eggs

1 tablespoon of butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 hot green chilies, finely chopped
6 large eggs
2 tablespoons of yogurt
3/4 cup of cottage cheese
1 heaping tablespoon of chives
dash of cumin
dash of cayenne
sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste


In a medium bowl, beat together the eggs and yogurt until frothy. Add the chives, chilies, cottage cheese, cumin, cayenne and salt and pepper and beat some more.

Heat the butter over medium heat in a frying pan. When hot, add the shallots and stir and fry for a few minutes. Now add the egg mixture to the pan. Stir frequently, taking care to scrap the egg from the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until the eggs are dry and fluffy.

Serves 2 - 3
Other egg creations you will be sure to enjoy:
Greek Scambled Eggs with Tomatoes and Feta
Shakshouka
Indian-Style Baked Eggs Florentine
Greek Feta and Olive Frittata

No comments:

Post a Comment