Thursday, November 27, 2008

Caramelized Corsican Apple Tart

Over the years, I have collected a lot of recipes for apple treats. One such recipe is this apple tart that I remember every autumn as one of the most heavenly custard-like fruit desserts I have ever enjoyed. I only made it once, years and years ago, and though I had such fond memories of this fruity tart, I never did make it again, distracted each year by other apple creations to test out in the narrow amount of time I set aside for baking.

This year I was determined to see if my memory served me correctly, and the occasion of a dear friend's birthday provided the needed inspiration. To complete and accompany the entree of Split Pea Cilantro Dumplings in a Coconut Curry, I served up the famed Corsican apple tart.

The custard texture I was after didn't quite materialize. I used more apples than the original recipe called for, and I ended up with a fruity cake that was by no means a disappointment, but I resolved to make it again before sharing the recipe to match the texture and taste that has lingered in my memory all of these years.

Blessed am I to have friends and family surrounding me to pamper; yet another excuse to try the apple tart, with fewer apples this time and I beat the batter with an electric hand mixture instead of with a wooden spoon for an airier texture. And what a success it was! Just like I remembered it. Custard-like, coated in caramel and gooey with apples and their juice. Honestly, this is the sort of dessert that could be served in the finest of restaurants, and it really isn't difficult to make either.

Do be warned that your springform pan might leak a bit, so put a baking sheet under the pan if you don't have one of those trusty disposal foil liners to keep the bottom of your stove clean. I wrapped the sides of my pan with parchment paper the second time around, taking care to tuck the paper under the edges of the pan. Definitely a cleaner experience.

This is my contribution to Eating with the Seasons, a monthly event hosted by Maninas.
Corsican Caramelized Apple Tart

1 cup + 2 tablespoons of unbleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla
6 large eggs
2 1/2 pounds of golden delicious apples (approximately 4 large apples), peeled, cored and sliced


Generously butter a 9 inch springform pan.

In a large bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add 1 cup of the sugar, plus 2 tablespoons, the vanilla and the eggs. Beat together with an electric hand mixer. Set aside.

In a small, heavy saucepan, dissolve the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar in 1/4 of water over medium heat. Cook, without stirring, until the mixture turns into a golden caramel (roughly 10 minutes). Pour the over the bottom of the prepared pan. Cover with the apples, and then pour the batter over the apples.

Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 40 - 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack. While the tart is still warm, invert the pan onto a plate. Carefully release the pan. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.

Serves 6 - 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment