Friday, July 18, 2008

Mixed Greens with Warm Goat Cheese and Pesto

A long standing comrade of mine is soon to embark on a journey a great geographic distance away from me. Always an enthusiastic and appreciative dinner guest, most importantly a highly creative and rational influence and loyal friend, I selfishly regret that Mike will be escaping the city walls surrounding foggy London Ontario.

Virtually, we will remain connected, and I'll mail him non-perishables.

Lest it sound like I am writing a eulogy, I am reminded of valuable friendships I have forged that would not have occurred without the internet. I immediately think of my Scottish friend Holler, who kindly surprised me with a cookbook this recipe was inspired by.

Moderately excessive considering the simplicity of the preparation, this is my contribution to No Croutons Required, hosted this month by Holler.
Salad with Warm Goat Cheese and Basil Sauce

a generous handful of fresh basil leaves
roughly 1/2 cup of olive oil
4 thick slices of crusty bread, toasted and rubbed with a split garlic clove
roughly 6 ounces of goat cheese
roughly 5 cups of mixed salad greens
juice from one small lemon
sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper


Finely chop the basil leaves. In a mortar and pestle, mash the basil together with enough olive oil to make a watery paste (about 1/4 cup). Set aside for at least 1 hour.

Whisk together the lemon juice, remaining olive oil and salt and pepper. Toss the salad greens with the dressing.

Put the toast on a baking pan and top with 3/4 inch slices of goat cheese. Bake in a preheated 450 degree oven for roughly 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from oven and top each piece with the pesto.

To serve, transfer some of the salad greens to a plate and top with cheese toast.

Scatter some pitted olives on the plate if desired. I meant to, but forgot.

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment