Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Beetroot Cake


It seems I have developed a particular fondness for beets this Fall after making Orange and Beet Soup a few weeks back. Since then, beets have been a regular feature in my fridge. This is sure to please my friend Mike, who has been asking me to make Borscht for a long time now. I've just recently come across the perfect recipe and I will be presenting a Creamy Beet Borscht soon. Expect a dinner invite soon Mike!

I was originally going to make another beet soup with the latest batch, until I came across this unusual recipe for Beetroot Cake over at Baked. I wasn't sure what to expect, but after a few bites of this almost savory tasting spongy cake, I was hooked, as were my guests. I can honestly say that this was one of the most pleasurable cake eating experiences I have ever had. Honey is used as a sweetener rather than sugar, so it's not too sweet, instead relying on the flavour provided by the beets and spices. The addition of cornmeal also gives the cake a slight crunch. The middle of the cake is almost pudding like, while the edges of the cake have a more traditionally cakey texture. It was unanimously agreed that it should be enjoyed from the inside out.

You can use yellow or red beets for this cake. I choose the red beets because I don't recall ever enjoying a red cake before. I decided not to ice the cake but a cream cheese based icing would be nice or you can use the topping suggested in the original recipe.
Beetroot Cake

Cake:

1 lb of raw beets
1 inch piece of ginger, finely chopped
3 large eggs, separated
2/3 cup of honey
3/4 cup of live oil
2 teaspoons of vanilla
2 heaping teaspoons of baking powder
2/3 cup of cornmeal
zest and juice from one orange
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
1 1/4 cup of unbleached soft white flour


Topping (optional):

7 oz. creme fraiche
1 wineglass of vin santo, Marsala or sherry
2 heaping tablespoons of sugar


Cake:

Boil the beets until they are soft - about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Remove them from the pot, and allow them to cool for a bit. Cut off the coarse ends and rub the skins off. Transfer to a bowl and mash until smooth.

Grease and flour a 9 or 10 inch springform pan.

In a large bowl, combine the mashed beet, ginger, egg yolks, honey, vanilla and olive oil. Whisk together until well combined.

Add the baking powder, cornmeal, orange juice and orange zest, along with the salt, spices and flour. Stir until just combined.

In a snall bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then fold them into the cake mixture.

Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 - 45 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Cool before serving.

Topping:

Whisk together the creme fraiche, alcohol and add the sugar, along with some vanilla if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment